We’ve scoured the web for personal reviews in forums, reddit, and blogs to find the best-reviewed waxes for black paint. Sources are linked at the end of this entry. We’ve limited our searches to within the last 12 months (From February 25th, 2015 – February 25th, 2016) and we’ve only included personal experiences as ‘votes.’
#1 Collinite no. 845 Insulator Wax
The most-recommended wax that we found in our search is Collinite 845. This is a synthetic wax. It was most often mentioned with the following features:
- Provides the longest-lasting protection of waxes used.
- Provides a superior shine.
- A good was to protect your paint during the winter months.
- Protect your plastic/vinyl trim and glass when applying because it will not wash off easily.
#2 Meguire’s Ultimate Liquid or Paste Wax
A very close second to Collinite’s 845, Meguire’s Ultimate was often recommended and seconded. This is also a synthetic wax, but this one is safe for your trim. Here’s what people were saying the most about this one:
- Provides superior shine and depth.
- Good wax for spring and summer months.
- Washes off of trim and glass easily.
- Forgiving for the inexperienced.
#3 Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax
Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax was the highest-rated natural Carnauba wax in our search. Here’s the most-common sentiments:
- Beautiful, deep shine.
- Needs regular application.
- Best for garaged cars or vehicles not stores in direct sun.
#4 Blackfire Black Ice
This hybrid wax was the fourth-most recommended wax. Here’s what people said about it:
- Easy to use.
- Beautiful, deep, glassy shine.
#5 Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish
And in fifth-place, Chemical Guys’s Black Light Finish Gloss Enhancer & Sealant in One (long-enough name, guys?). Many Chemical Guys products were mentioned, but this one was by far the favorite. Here’s the most-popular reasons why:
- Easy to use
- Creates a deep, wet-looking shine.
How to Select and Apply your Chosen Wax
This video from AdamPolishes.com provides excellent instruction for hand-waxing your vehicle.
The purpose of waxing is to seal your paint, and while a quality wax will improve the appearance of your paint, it will not provide the best results possible by itself. Depending on the condition of your car’s finish, you may need to take additional steps prior to waxing in order to bring out the best you possibly can. These include regular washing and the use of clay bars, compounds, and polishes prior to waxing. That said, waxing alone is better than doing nothing.
- Reddit.com/r/AutoDetailing | Threads of note (not exhaustive):
- AutoGeekOnline.net/Forum | Threads of note (not exhaustive):
- ClubLexus.com/forums/ | Threads of note (not exhaustive):
- Auto Detailing Wiki @ Reddit/r/AutoDetailing