You may have seen toilet paper rolls becoming more elegant lately… ones folded to a point or into a bow, all with a faux wax seal holding the folds in place. That faux wax seal is the Pixie Stamp and anyone can do it right in their own home, for free! This lovely idea is being seen in many home photos from Instagram with a variety of creative techniques – there’s more than one way to pixie stamp, and many more beautiful (and easy, and free) ideas coming from the lady who created it!
How to Do a Pixie Stamp?
To make your own Pixie Stamp on a toilet paper roll:
- Turn the sink faucet in your bathroom on for a second to wet it, then turn it off again.
- Fold the toilet paper roll into a point or bow or whatever design you like.
- Press the point of the fold into the wet tap, and when you pull it away – voila! Pixie Stamp!
Where Did the Pixie Stamp Come From?
The Pixie Stamp is the brainchild of Samantha-Jo Stark, owner of Pixie Dust Cleaning Services in the United Kingdom. After seeing other cleaning companies using stickers on their clients’ toilet rolls, she decided to come up with something new…something better. She started doing the Pixie Stamp in the summer of 2017, then shared it on her Instagram (@PixieDustCleaningUK) this past November 2018. Instagrammers immediately fell in love with the Pixie Stamp and have started using it in their own homes regularly, as well as coming up with a variety of new ways to make this magic happen.
More Fun Ways to Pixie Stamp
There are many fun ways people have come up with to Pixie Stamp. Different items can be used to make the stamp, such as a spray bottle, a letter stamp, or even your thumbs (see image below). The stamp can also be used with a variety of folds, such as to hold a bow in place, or by putting multiple stamps on one roll. It can be used with paper towel rolls as well, or even on a napkin. If you have a rectangular or other oddly shaped tap, or even if you don’t, multiple stamps in one area can create a flower or other fun pattern. Here are a few of our favorites.
To add a little color, make a Pixie Stamp with the tap, then put a color stamp on top. Festive holiday stamps are often available at a wide variety of stores for a good price. This is a nice way to leave something special for a family member to find on a holiday, such as Valentine’s Day.
Other Great Details by Pixie Dust Cleaning Services
What is the Pixie Twist?
The Pixie Twist is a design used for making a blanket on the foot of a bed look like a bow. Simply twist in the middle and your bed looks like a present you get to unwrap at the end of the day!
What is the Pixie Pocket?
Another fabulous detail by Pixie Dust Cleaning Services that is being seen in many homes, also with many variations, is the Pixie Pocket. With a simple fold technique (tutorial available on Instagram @PixieDustCleaningUK) and a towel or blanket can have a pocket. In the bathroom, another folded towel can be tucked into the pocket for a fun design, or you can store a toothbrush or bath sponge for convenience. This fold technique isn’t limited to towels either; if you fold a Pixie Pocket into a throw blanket on the couch, it not only looks lovely, Instagrammer @carlys_little_world had the great idea of storing the TV remote in it! Probably best not to try having it hold a drink, but it would be a great spot to hide some snacks.
What is the Pixie Bow?
Besides inventing her own fabulous details, Stark also gets creative to figure out folds seen elsewhere without a tutorial. After one of her clients went on vacation and saw a hand towel folded into a bow in her hotel room, she showed a picture to Stark, who examined the fold and is now able to replicate it in her own way using kitchen towels. This bow fold is what her followers like to call the Pixie Bow. Stark has not yet released a tutorial for how to make the Pixie Bow as of the publishing of this article, so be sure to follow her on Instagram for when she does!
More Info and Photo Credits
- Follow Samantha-Jo Stark on Instagram @pixiedustcleaninguk and if you are in the Whitstable area of the U.K., be sure to check out her business website!
- A special thank you to @missalicialidia, @sassyandclean, @_twinkle_sparkle_shine, @miss_kathryna, @our_home_our_ohana,and @therufford_turnberry for letting us use their creative pixie stamp photos!
- The pyrimad of stamped rolls is by @missalicialidia who shares incredible photos of her beautiful baby Taliah on Instagram.
- @Sassyandclean (warning: her Instagram is definitely sassy) has just started a print and gift company, so be sure to check her out if you like to support small businesses.
- @_Twinkle_sparkle_shine has a cleaning company in the Saint Helen’s area of England and has many fancy toilet paper and towel folds on her Instagram with tutorials that you can try as well.
- @Miss_Kathryna has a home-related Instagram account and is owner of Dance Factory Studios in Bradford, U.K.
- @Our_home_our_ohana and @therufford_turnberry both have lovely home-related Instagram accounts featuring cleaning and home decor so be sure to check them out!