Philip asked: How do you clean those trays for drying dishes? My trays have got mildew on the bottom from the tap water.
Dish racks often bring about a love-hate feeling. We love them because they keep our dishes upright and allow them to dry quickly with minimal spotting. However, they collect water in the trays and require frequent cleanings to keep away mildew and slime from developing underneath. There are many varieties of dish racks available: wood, plastic, vinyl-covered, and even metal. Each type has its own pros and cons. Though one thing is for sure, no matter what material your dish rack is made from, it will require periodic cleanings to keep it mold and mildew free. These cleaning methods will keep the mold away so your dishes are clean and ready for use.
You Will Need:
- Sink or tub
- Soft cloth or sponge
- Old toothbrush
Steps to Clean the Dish Rack:
- The most effective way to disinfect and remove mildew is with bleach.
- Start by filling a sink, bucket, or tub with water. It needs to be large enough to fit the rack inside and submerge it in the water.
- Add ¼ cup of bleach for each gallon of water.
- Place the drying rack in the bleach/water mixture and allow it to soak for at least 20 minutes. If the mildew is severe, allow some extra soaking time.
- After the rack has soaked, use the soft cloth or sponge to gently wipe away any remaining mildew or slime. Clean each bar on the rack to ensure all of the mildew is removed or it will quickly return.
- An old toothbrush works well to get in all of the corners and tight spaces.
- When the rack is completely cleaned, rinse it thoroughly with clean water.
- Allow it to dry completely before use.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Clean your dish rack weekly to avoid the growth of mold and mildew.
- If a tray is present under the drying rack, clean that as well using the same method as above.
- Remove water from the tray frequently to remove the excess moisture that mildew requires to grow.
- If you place a towel under your drying rack, replace it daily at a minimum. It is best to hang it after each use so it can dry completely.