Franc asked: How do I clean a polyurethane coated nylon jacket? It is a Belstaff motorcycle jacket that has a weatherproof laminate in the fabric. The washing instructions say no dry cleaning and no machine wash. Sponging doesn’t work. It has a lot of general grime and some grease on it. The jacket is lined with a satin-like fabric with cotton ticking.
Cleaning these specialized coats can be tricky and is often seen as one of their downfalls. Because there are limited cleaning methods, they need consistent care to keep dirt and grime from building up. Regular light cleanings are the best solution, but if the grime has already begun to build, here are some steps to try.
You Will Need:
- Bar soap (ex: Ivory)
- Sponge or soft cloths
Steps to Clean the Coat:
- Begin by moistening a soft cloth or sponge with water.
- Wipe as much of the dirt away as possible.
- For the tougher areas, rub a bar soap onto the stained or dirty area.
- Wipe with a clean cloth moistened with plain water.
- Repeat until the coat is clean.
- Rinse the coat completely.
- Allow to dry.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If the coat does not come clean, return to the store where it was purchased. Often times, for these specialty coats, there are cleaning kits and special cleaners available. These are safer to use than household products and will not damage the protective coating.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods