Traci asked: How do I clean cat furniture? We have two cat stands, and both are covered with cat hair and dander. I vacuum as much as possible, but it just does not clean as I wish. Any secrets that could help me do a better job? Thanks for your help.
Cat furniture gives cats their own place to lounge and play. Whether you have a simple piece or a complex tower, keeping it clean not only enhances the appearance, it’s important for the health of your cat. Follow these steps to keep your pet’s play land in top condition.
You Will Need:
- Vacuum with attachments
- Lint roller or wide tape
- Cat shampoo
- Spray bottle
- Rubber gloves
- Soft cloths or sponges
Steps to Clean the Furniture:
- If your furniture piece is a tower with several sections, begin by disassembling it into sections (if possible and practical).
- Vacuum each section thoroughly to remove as much of the loose pet hair and dander as possible.
- If there is a lot of hair sticking, there are several steps that can be taken to help loosen it for easier removal.
- While wearing a rubber glove (textured ones work better), run your hand under water. Shake off the excess water so that the glove is just lightly moist. Rub the glove over the surface in short strokes to lift the hair and bring it to the surface. Vacuum again.
- Moisten a regular kitchen sponge or cloth with water. Squeeze out the excess water so it is just damp. Rub the sponge over the surface to gather the hair into clumps. Remove by vacuuming or just picking off the clumps by hand.
- A lint roller works well to pull hairs out that are stuck down in the carpet fibers. Rub a lint roller over the surface or wrap wide tape around your hand (with the sticky side facing out) and press it on the carpet. This works well for tight spaces and corners.
- Once most of the hair has been removed, you are ready to tackle any stains that may have developed.
- Mix a small amount of water with cat shampoo until suds begin to form.
- Moisten a soft cloth or sponge with the soapy water and scrub away the stains. If you have a carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment, it will make the job even easier.
- Rinse well with clean water and blot the area with a dry cloth.
- Allow it to dry completely.
- Once clean and dry, reassemble the unit.
- Check each level for stability.
- Repeat these cleanings monthly, or more frequently, to maintain a clean and healthy area for your pet.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If your vacuum is old or has light suction, it may be worth the investment to purchase one that is designed to remove pet hair. The vacuum is the easiest way to remove the dirt and hair and a good quality vacuum will require less frequent cleanings.
- If an odor has developed on the furniture, it can be treated with sprays (for light odors) or granules (for stronger odors). Both of these can be found at your pet supply store. Apply the odor remover and allow it to soak in for several hours. Vacuum to remove.
- Always ensure that your cleaning supplies are non-toxic. If you are unsure whether it is safe for your pet, err on the side of caution and choose another product.