If you don’t have a green thumb, fake plants are the perfect way to add a nice decorative touch to any room. These plants can quickly collect dust and lose their “real” look. Clean your fake plants quickly and easily with these steps.
How to Clean Silk Plants
You Will Need:
- Bag large enough to hold the silk plants
- Nylon hose
- Vacuum cleaner with attachments
Steps to Clean Silk Plants:
- Silk plants should not get wet, as it can damage them. This method removes the debris without cleaning the plants with water.
- Fill the bag with salt. The amount of salt will depend on the size and the amount of build up on the plant. You will need enough to cover the surface areas of the plant that are unclean.
- Place the plant in the bag with the salt.
- Shake the bag around. As you are shaking, the salt will adhere to the sticky surfaces.
- Remove the plant and allow the salt to absorb the debris on the surface.
- Cover the attachment of a vacuum with nylon hose. Secure it so the hose is stretched tightly over the end.
- Use the vacuum to remove the dried salt from the plant. With the salt, the debris on the plants will be removed as well.
- Repeat as needed until the plant is clean.
How to Clean Plastic Plants
You Will Need:
- Sink, tub or bucket
- Mild detergent (optional)
- Soft cloths
Steps to Clean Plastic Plants:
- Plastic plants are more durable and are able to get wet. This makes them easier to clean.
- Begin by filling a sink, tub or bucket with warm water.
- If the plants are especially dirty, add a small amount of mild detergent. Soap can leave a residue and should be avoided.
- Swish the plants around in the water to remove the dust and dirt.
- Use a soft cloth to clean any stubborn areas with extra build up.
- Rinse under clean water.
- Set in the sun to dry.
Additional Tips and Advice
- To prevent sticky build up on fake plants, use a blow dryer to blow away dirt and debris weekly. Use a low, heat free setting.
- If a shower or kitchen spray nozzle is available, they can work well for quick cleanings for plastic plants. Simply spray the plant clean and allow it to dry.