Michelle asked: How do I clean Lycra fabric shoes? I just bought some boots, and the material is Lycra. It seems like a microfiber, but it’s not suede. Any ideas of how to keep them clean? I know salt and water can leave water marks.
Lycra is a stretchy type of fabric that is in the same family as rubber. It is commonly used with other materials in clothing and shoes. Though durable and easy to clean, it does not allow air to flow, so be sure to air them out regularly and allow them to dry in between wearings.
You Will Need:
- Soft cloth
- Waterproofing spray
Steps to Clean and Protect the Shoes:
- Cleaning Lycra shoes is simple.
- No special cleaning products are needed or recommended.
- Moisten a cloth with warm water.
- Wring the cloth out completely so it is just slightly damp.
- Wipe the surface to remove any dirt or stains that may have built up on the shoes.
- Treat the shoes with a weatherproofing/waterproofing spray to keep water stains and watermarks from occurring.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Lycra is always blended with other fibers. It is not used alone. Check the label to find out what other fibers are combined with the Lycra and check out our other cleaning guides to find additional cleaning methods for those types of material.