Silk is a luxurious natural fiber that makes beautiful upholstery. Silk furniture is an investment that must be actively maintained! It is important to clean silk furniture with great care and attention to detail.
Caring for Silk Upholstery
- Begin by vacuuming the entire piece of furniture well to remove all loose dirt.
- Generally, silk upholstery can be cleaned with a soft cloth dipped in a solution of cold water and mild laundry detergent such as Woolite. However, exercise extreme caution and be sure to test a small, inconspicuous area first as many types of dyed silk will discolor easily.
- When in doubt, have your silk upholstery cleaned professionally.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Be cautious not to overwet the fabric and use moving air to quickly dry the silk.
- Do not place your silk upholstery in direct sunlight, or in close vicinity to a heating/air conditioning sources.
- Clean spills promptly, blotting at them with a firm, lifting motion; never rub the stain as this will force it deeper into the fabric.
- Never use a hair dryer to dry a wet spot or spill on silk upholstery as the heat may cause shrinkage of the fabric.
- Sometimes when cleaning silk upholstery water marks will remain that are nearly impossible to remove. If this occurs, you may want to consider using a dry-cleaning method.