Janet asked: How do I clean chef’s white aprons? The chef’s whites have lots of burnt food, food preparation stains, gravy and every possible food and drink spilled on them. How do I clean the new chef’s white aprons? Should I put them in a bucket of bleach for a couple of hours before washing them normally? Thank you.
Aprons are subject to the worst kind of abuse, food stains of every type and substance. As a result, it’s hard to determine a single solution that will work on every stain. A bit of trial and error may be needed, but odds are good that you’ll be pleased with these results.
You Will Need:
- Whink Wash Away Laundry Stain Remover
- Tide laundry detergent
- Dawn dishwashing detergent
- Spoon or butter knife
Steps to Remove the Stains:
- Pretreat stains with the Whink Wash Away Stain Remover.
- Allow the stain remover to sit on the stained areas for 10-15 minutes.
- Work any thick or crusty stains away with your fingernail or a dull instrument like a spoon or butter knife.
- Run the washing machine to fill with hot water.
- Add Tide and several drops of Dawn. Allow the machine to agitate the water before adding aprons. You may use another good laundry detergent. Tide is recommended because it removes stains so well.
- Add the aprons to the machine and agitate the machine for a few minutes until all of the aprons have become completely saturated with the soapy water.
- Stop the machine and let them soak in the hot, soapy water for about an hour.
- Restart the machine to finish the washing cycle.
- Examine each apron before putting it in the dryer. If any stains remain, repeat the entire process. It may be best to allow the aprons to air dry to be sure all of the stains are removed.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Because bleach can weaken fibers and cause yellowing on certain whites, it should only be used as a last resort.
- If preferred, you can use white vinegar as an additive to the wash instead of dish soap.
- Do not put stained fabrics in the dryer. The heat will set the stain, making it very difficult to remove.