Lori asked: How can I remove Bare Minerals brown, powdered make-up from my beige berber carpet? We dropped an open jar of tan-brown powdered make-up on the carpet.
Bare Minerals make-up is designed to resist water so that it doesn’t wash away when performing normal tasks and perspiring. This water-resistant feature makes it more difficult to remove from your stuff too. While some of the powder can be vacuumed away, the remaining will need to be cleaned from the carpet.
You Will Need:
- Vacuum with attachments
- Hair spray
- Rubbing alcohol
- Mild soap or detergent
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Make Up:
- Begin by vacuuming away as much of the powdered make-up as possible.
- For the remaining make-up, it will be necessary to apply a soap or detergent to release it from the carpet fibers.
- Mix a small amount of soap or detergent in a bucket filled with warm water.
- Moisten a clean, soft cloth with the water/soap mixture and gently blot at the make-up stained area.
- As you are blotting, you should begin to see the make-up transferring to the cloth.
- Continue blotting, switching to a fresh piece of cloth periodically, until the make-up is either removed or no longer transfers to the cloth.
- If there is still some make-up on the carpet, spray it with hairspray or blot it with a cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol.
- Again, continue to blot until the stain is removed or no longer transfers to the cloth.
- Rinse the area by blotting with a clean cloth moistened with clean water.
- Allow the area to dry completely.
- If there are any stains remaining after the carpet has dried, repeat the above procedures.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Always blot when cleaning carpet. Rubbing or scrubbing the carpet will only push the stain down further and make it more difficult to remove.
- Bare Minerals sells a special make-up remover that can also be applied to the carpet to cut through the make-up. A general facial cleanser may also work as well.
- For additional ideas and tips on removing make-up stains from carpeting, see How to Clean Make-Up from Carpet.