Joe asked: Please tell me, if you can, how I can remove the smell of household bleach from my hands (when I am not wearing gloves). Thank you
Bleach is a strong chemical that has a very distinct odor. It is quickly absorbed into any material it comes in contact with, including skin. While it’s best to use protective gloves, if bleach comes in contact with your skin, you’ll know from the lingering smell. There are a variety of items that will remove the smell. Here are a couple of the more successful options for you to try.
You Will Need:
- Lemon juice
- Stainless steel spoon
Steps to Remove the Bleach Smell:
- Begin by pouring a small amount of lemon juice/vinegar in your hand.
- Rub your hands together for 30 seconds.
- Rinse with cool water.
- If the smell remains, or is very strong, fill a bowl with a cup or two of the liquid.
- Soak your hands in the bowl for one minute.
- Repeat until the smell is gone.
- If the lemon and vinegar do not work, try a stainless steel spoon or other large utensil.
- Hold it under cool, running water, while you rub your hands on the stainless steel. This removes the smell.
- Milk can also be placed in a bowl and used with the stainless steel spoon. However, many find the spoon alone to be effective.
- Once the odor is gone, you can wash your hands with soap and water to remove any remaining odors from the lemon juice or vinegar.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Contrary to popular belief, you do not want to rinse your hands with hot water to remove smells. The hot water causes the pores in your skin to dilate and take in more of the smelly liquid. Instead, lather your hands well with soap, and then rinse with hot water. This will allow the soap to trap the molecules so they can be washed away.
- Bleach can be harmful to skin with prolonged exposure. It is best to always wear gloves when working with bleach.
- You want an acid to remove the bleach. Tomatoes are another acidic food that can be helpful in removing the odors. Try rubbing tomato paste or sauce between your hands.
- These steps will also remove onion, garlic and other food odors from your hands.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods