Gail said, “Unfinished wood window has been in the attic for a number of years, and now has the blackish/brown stains from bugs. What can I use to remove these stains or at least lighten them before I paint the window?”
Many bugs will leave stains if they get into your home. What’s worse is that the stains often contain a scent that lets other bugs of their kind know where to go. Getting rid of these stains is important for health reasons as well as to prevent the bugs from returning.
You Will Need:
- Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner
- A cloth
- Hydrogen peroxide
- A soft bristle brush
- Paper towels
- An absorbent material, such as:
- Kitty litter
- Baking soda
Steps to Remove the Stains:
- Get Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner or another enzyme cleaner that is safe to use on wood.
- Follow the instructions on the label of your selected product.
- The cleaning may need to be repeated several times to fully remove the stains.
- Another option is to try hydrogen peroxide (the regular kind, 3%).
- If may help to scrub the stains with a soft bristle brush like a nail brush or an old toothbrush.
- If the stains are stubborn, lay a few sheets of paper towels over the wood. Pour some hydrogen peroxide over the paper towels to soak them. Let the paper towels sit on the stains for about 30 minutes, then look to see if the stains have been absorbed by the paper towels. (It is possible that this method could lead to water stains or water damage on the wood, so only use this method if that won’t be a problem for you, such as if you plan to refinish or paint over the wood anyway, etc.)
- If the stains have not been removed, cover the area with an absorbent material, such as kitty litter, baking soda, sawdust, or salt. Do not wipe off the peroxide before pouring on the absorbent.
- Let the absorbent material sit on the area for several hours or overnight, then sweep it up.
- Check out out guide 7 Natural Ways to Keep Your Home Bug-Free for more ideas on preventing their return.
- Wiping the wood with the peroxide will also help to disinfect it.