Karen asked: I accidentally left some combs/brushes in a pot of water on the stove (trying to kill lice/eggs) and they melted and caused the whole house to get smoky. How do I remove the odor from the curtains and rugs?
Burnt plastic is one of the worst smells and can quickly fill a house. There are several different odor fighting solutions and it may take one or several to tackle the smell. Of course, the windows need to stay open to allow the area to air out well. These steps will help to get rid of the last remaining odors.
You Will Need:
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Laundry detergent
Steps to Remove the Burnt Smell:
- For curtains and draperies, it is best to clean them either by washing them or having them professionally cleaned.
- If the curtains are washable, simply place them in the washing machine and add a cup of vinegar to the cycle in addition to the laundry detergent.
- Allow them to air dry until the odor is completely removed.
- Repeat the washing process if necessary.
- For rugs and carpeting, baking soda is the odor-absorber of choice.
- Sprinkle the rug/carpet with the baking soda and allow it to set for a couple of hours up to a couple of days, depending on the smell.
- Vacuum it away.
- If the smell remains, reapply.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If the smell is lingering the house after the cleaning methods above have taken place, try setting out some bowls of coffee grounds. They will absorb the odor and freshen the room within a couple of days.
- Burning candles or incense will not remove the smell, but it can mask it while you are working to remove it.
- Another way to clear the smell out of the air is to boil lemon juice and lemon peels.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods