Nancy asked: How do I remove deck stain from vinyl siding? When we stained our deck, we used a sprayer and a lot of spots got on our siding. I have tried almost everything I can think of to get it off with no success.
It is not an uncommon occurrence for deck stain to splatter onto vinyl siding during application. To remove the stain, you must strip the color off of the siding. Follow the guidelines below to get the job done.
You Will Need:
- The Stripper by Behr or other stain stripper that is safe for vinyl siding
- Sponge or old cloths
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Stripper is available at Home Depot or other hardware stores that sell Behr products.
- Spray the cleaner onto the stained areas and allow it to set for 20-30 minutes.
- Use the sponge or cloth to scrub the stain away.
- Repeat until the stain is removed.
- Rinse the area thoroughly with clean water.
- Dry with a towel.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Always test a cleaning product in a small hidden area first to look for any adverse reaction.
- For some extra cleaning power, scrub the area with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser after applying the spray.
- Other products that may work to remove the stain are Instagone (often sold for RVs) or Once ‘N’ Done, which is a product sold for floors.
- Greased Lightning can also be used with a Magic Eraser for lighter stains.
- If the stain cannot be removed, consider painting over it.
- Be cautious not to let cleaners sit too long on the siding as it can damage the surface and or cause discoloration.