June asked: How do I remove melted crayon from the inside of the dishwasher? I accidentally ran the dishwasher with a black crayon, and everything is covered in black grease! How do I remove the melted crayon from Tupperware and the inside of the dishwasher? I tried De-Solve-It, canola oil, dishwasher cleaner and vinegar, but it is still there after wiping several times. What an expensive and time consuming mistake! Please help.
When crayons get left in heated appliances, such as dishwashers and dryers, they “leave their mark” everywhere. Fortunately, with the hard surface of a dishwasher (and lack of holes), the cleaning process is fairly simple. Yes, it will take some time, but you will be able to get all of those waxy streaks out.
You Will Need:
- Pick one:
- Goo Gone
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
- Greased Lightning
- Rubbing alcohol
- WD 40
- Barkeeper’s Friend
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Crayon:
- Begin by choosing one of the cleaning products listed above. We suggest starting with the easiest, the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. This little sponge is highly effective in removing all kinds of dirt and stains from nearly every surface imaginable.
- Moisten the sponge with water.
- Gently scrub the waxy marks off of the surface. This should work especially well since the walls of the dishwasher are solid. The crayon should wipe right off.
- If the crayon is persistent, choose one of the other cleaning products that you have available.
- Apply the product with a soft cloth.
- Scrub gently to remove the crayon.
- Once all of the crayon is removed, run the dishwasher while empty to wash out the interior and remove any residue from the cleaning products.
Additional Tips and Advice
- To remove the crayon marks from the Tupperware, see our guide How to Remove Melted Crayon from Plastic Surfaces. Again, wash the plastic completely afterwards to remove any residue.
- Crayola offers a valuable resource through their customer service number. Or, check out their website for cleaning solutions for all kinds of crayon catastrophes.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods