Rose asked: How do I get rid of the leather smell on my purse.
While many people enjoy the smell of leather, it can be overwhelming at times. The hide is treated with chemicals and colorings that can produce a strong scent. The smell of leather can be removed with washing, but the oils will need to be replaced to keep the leather piece from drying out.
You Will Need:
- Vacuum with attachment
- Plastic bag (optional)
Steps to Remove the Smell:
- OdorZout is a natural product that removes the odor from any surface. The product comes in a variety of options, for this purpose, we will use the all purpose granules.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of the granules over the surface of the piece. If it is a purse or bag, sprinkle the interior as well. It may be easiest to place the purse or leather piece inside of a plastic bag and then apply the granules.
- Allow the granules to sit on the piece for 24 hours
- Use a vacuum with the attachments to vacuum the granules away.
- Repeat the above process until the odor is removed.
- This same application and removal method can also be completed with baking soda if the OdorZout cannot be found.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Leather can also be washed with saddle soap or a mild soap to remove the odor. Apply a leather conditioner or oil after cleaning to replace the oils that were removed during the cleaning process.
- It is believed that washing the piece with tomato juice will remove the odor, but be aware that the tomato may cause some staining on certain types of leather.
- For a quick fix, store the item in dry newspapers. The paper will absorb the odor of the leather.
- Ammonia and vinegar can be mixed with water and applied to the leather, but use caution not to dry out or discolor the leather. Always test a small area first before applying any acidic cleaners to the surfaces of the leather. When completed, apply a quality conditioner to the leather.