Patricia asked: “How to clean silver pen used for personalizing from a glass figurine?”
Removing pen from glass is a fairly simple process. However, when you apply the same methods to glass figurines, special care is required to ensure that any special finishes on the figurine are not ruined.
There are a variety of cleaners that have been used to remove ink, but the process is all the same. As all inks are different, you may want to try a couple different cleaners. Be aware that some all purpose cleaners contain bleach and many glass cleaners contain ammonia. NEVER mix cleaners with bleach and cleaners with ammonia as the fumes created are toxic.
What You Will Need:
- One of the following:
- Aerosol hairspray
- Acetone nail polish remover
- Dawn Power Dissolver
- Rubbing alcohol
- All purpose spray cleaner
- Glass cleaner such as Windex
- Ammonia (do not use with any other cleaners containing bleach)
- Cotton swabs
- Small dish
- Cotton balls
- Soft cloth
- Mild soap
The Removal Process:
- Begin by wiping the area with a soft cloth moistened with water.
- If your figurine is painted or has a special finish, you will want to test a small, hidden area first to ensure that the cleaning agent does not damage the surface or remove the paint or finish.
- If the cleaning agent comes in a spray bottle, put some in a small dish first for easier application.
- Next, apply the chosen cleaning agent with the cotton swab. Using the cotton swab allows you to apply the cleaner to the pen without spreading it over the entire figurine.
- Allow the cleaner to set on the ink for a few minutes.
- Gently rub the area with the cotton swab to loosen the ink from the glass.
- Using a soft cloth, cotton ball or a clean cotton swab, remove the cleaner and the ink.
- If any ink remains, repeat as necessary. You may want to try a different cleaner as different pens may react differently to the cleaners.
- After the ink is removed, clean the glass figuring with water and mild soap to remove any cleaning residue.
- Dry thoroughly.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If the pen ink is impossible to remove with the methods above, you may want to consider gently scraping it off. Take a small razor blade and carefully scrape the ink off of the surface. Use extra caution not to scratch the surface or damage the figurine.