Rowan asked: How do I remove scratches and scuff marks from plexiglass? I need to clean a visor on a motorbike helmet.
Plexiglass offers a safe alternative for items that would otherwise have to be made out of glass. However, it can quickly become scratched and develop a haze from general use and cleaning. Removing these scratches and bringing your plexiglass piece back to life is just a few steps away.
You Will Need:
- Plastic Scratch Removal Kit (Novus is recommended)
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Scratches:
- There are different degrees of scratches. Very minor surface scratches that look more like a haze, light scratches and heavy scratches which are deeper and more difficult to remove.
- The Novus kit contains three different cleaning solutions as well as the cloths needed for application. The first solution is for heavy scratches. This is the most aggressive cleaner. Apply it liberally to the heavy scratches on the plexiglass.
- Use a firm scrubbing motion, moving back and forth. Keep the cloth at a 90 degree angle with the scratch. Continue rubbing until only fine scratches remain.
- It will require some elbow grease to remove these scratches, so don’t become discouraged if they don’t disappear right away. These products use abrasives to gently even out the surface and rub away the scratch to make it blend in. These are not fillers.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe away any remaining polish. Do not skip this step or it will leave the abrasive polish on and the results will not be favorable.
- Use a clean cloth to apply the fine scratch remover to the surface. Rub it on in a circular motion.
- Continue polishing in a circular motion all over the surface until the polish dries to a light haze.
- Remove the polish by buffing the surface with a clean cloth.
- Finally, clean and polish the surface with the plastic polish. This will give the plexiglass that finished look that it had when it was first purchased.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If you’re looking for a quick, easy fix for deep scratches, they can be filled with glue. Simply apply some Elmer’s glue with a soft cloth. Rub it over the scratch and wipe away any excess. It will dry clear and will fill the gap the scratch as left behind. It will not look new like the method above, but it offers a quick fix.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods