Beth asked: How do I remove cigarette smell from a massage table that I bought second hand? The smoke seems embedded under the vinyl covering, and perhaps in the foam (I can’t remove the vinyl covering). Any tips?
Removing cigarette and smoke smells can be a chore, especially when they seem to be completely absorbed into the furniture. Try these steps to eliminate the odor and freshen up your vinyl furniture.
You Will Need:
- White vinegar
- Small bowls
- Washing soda (found in the laundry aisle)
- Baking soda
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Odor:
*Removing cigarette odors can be tough, so we’ll offer several different options. Try one or try them all until the smell is gone. If applying cleaning products to the surface of the piece, always test a small area first to ensure there are no damaging effects to the vinyl or coloring.
- Start with the easiest remedy – allowing vinegar to pull the odor out of the piece.
- Place a couple of small bowls all around the furniture piece. Close the door and allow it to set for several days (the smaller the room the better).
- After it has had a chance to remove the odor, air out the room completely.
- If the odor remains, sprinkle the entire piece down with baking soda and allow it to set for several hours.
- Vacuum the piece to remove.
- It is also helpful to clean the surface of the piece to remove any smoke residue.
- Mix together ¼ cup white vinegar, ¼ cup washing soda, ½ cup ammonia and one gallon of hot water.
- Use the mixture to gently wipe down the entire piece with a soft cloth. Be sure to test a small area first as this may affect the color of the vinyl.
- Rinse with clean water and allow it to dry completely.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If the smoke smell is too embedded into the piece to remove, consider getting it reupholstered.
- A good airing-out can do wonders to remove smoke smell. Consider setting the piece out in fresh air for a couple of days to see if it improves.
- Odo-ban is a commercial odor remover that some have found effective in removing strong odors from furniture pieces.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods