Adrian asked, “How do you take off stains [from white canvas shoes]?”
White shoes can stain easily, but they also can be easily cleaned. Keep reading to learn how to restore your canvas shoes to a bright white.
You Will Need:
- A toothbrush
- A nail brush
- Dish soap
- Nail polish remover
- Oxygen bleach
Steps to Remove the Stains:
- For dirt stains, place some shampoo on a toothbrush or nail brush and scrub the dirt stain. Use a wet sponge to wipe away the shampoo residue.¹
- For grass stains, make a soapy solution with dish soap and water. Dip a nail brush or toothbrush in the solution and scrub the stain away.²If any stain remains, you can use nail polish remover as described in the next step.
- For grease stains or tar, use nail polish remover.³ Dip a cotton ball or cotton swab in nail polish remover and rub the stain until it is removed.⁴It is best to use a clear nail polish remover to avoid any potential staining from the dyes in colored solutions. Nail polish remover can also be used to remove any grass stains.⁴
- General stains –oxygen bleach can be used to remove some kinds of stains from canvas shoes. Apply the oxygen bleach to a nail brush or toothbrush and scrub the stain until it is removed.⁵
Additional Tips and Advice
- Surface dirt can be cleaned from shoes with Lincoln EZ Cleaner.⁵
- To brighten canvas shoes, sprinkle talcum powder on a dry nail brush and scrub the canvas.⁶
- Wipe the shoes with a cloth dipped in diluted ammonia for a general cleaning.⁶
- Be sure to only use ammonia in a well ventilated area. For more ammonia safety information, see Wikipedia.
- 101 Essential Tips for Removing Stains by CassandraKent
- 10,001 Hints & Tips For The Home by Reader’s Digest
- Haley’s Hints by Graham and Rosemary Haley
- Household Hints for Dummies by Janet Sobesky
- Martha Stewart’s Homekeeping Handbook
- Haley’s Cleaning Hints by Graham and Rosemary Haley