Brian said, “My client (a school) has a stairwell with anti-slip tape on each step. The tape is stained and looks dirty. How can I remove the stains and soils from these strips, without compromising the adherence of the tape to the stairs?”
When you have a variety of unknown stains, the best way to treat them is with a general stain remover. For grip tape, most of the stains will likely be organic – food or drinks that were spilled on it, dirt from the bottom of shoes, etc. – so an enzyme digester is a good choice. However, many enzyme digeters also contain solvents like alcohol or acetone, which could dissolve the adhesive if any of the cleaner gets along the edges of the tape, so if you want to use a different product than the one suggested below, be sure to read the ingredients list thoroughly.
You will Need:
- Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner
- Plastic wrap
Steps to Remove the Stains:
- Get an enzyme digester that does not contain solvents like alcohol or acetone, such as Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner. It is usually available in the pet aisle of supermarkets, as well as at major pet stores.
- Follow the instructions on the label of your selected product.
- It may take several attempts to fully remove all stains. Repeat the process as many times as needed.
- If you find that the enzyme digester is drying too fast (which will stop it from working), cover the area with plastic wrap to help hold in the moisture so that it has more time to work. In this case, it would be best to use weights to hold down the plastic wrap if needed, as tape could remove the paint on the floor around the grip tape. Don’t let the product soak for a long time along the edges of the grip tape or the moisture could loosen the adhesive.
- Be sure to fully read the label of your selected product. Some products suggest scrubbing the area with a scrub brush to help the cleaner work. If so, you can use a soft bristle brush. Do not use a strong scrub brush or you could damage the grip tape.
- If you have attempted to clean the stains with chemicals before using the enzyme digester, it is possible that the digester will not work because the chemical residue will kill all of the beneficial bacteria in it before they can eat up the stains.
- Some products that you should avoid in this particular case are Nature’s Miracle Stain and Odor Remover, Kids ‘N’ Pets, and Motsenblockers Lift Off 1, all of which contain solvents that could dissolve the adhesive on the grip tape.