Question: How can I remove dried super glue from tile? I have a nickel-sized spot of dried super glue on my kitchen counter tile. I put acetone nail polish remover on it which didn’t work. Please help!
Super glue is actually a form of plastic and can be removed with products that will “melt” or deteriorate the plastic. Acetone is the perfect tool for the job. However, the amount in nail polish remover may not be enough. Pure acetone is available in the paint department of any major store and has more power than that found in nail polish remover. Here are some methods you can try to get rid of the glue for good.
You Will Need:
- Pure acetone
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Paper towels
- Plastic wrap
- Soft cloths
- Spoon or putty knife
- Single edge razor (optional)
Steps to Remove the Glue:
Because acetone can remove finishes, it is important to test a small, hidden tile first to ensure there are no damaging effects to the surface. If the acetone is not safe fkr your surface, use isopropyl alcohol instead.
- Begin by cleaning the area as normal and drying thoroughly.
- Apply acetone or alcohol to the glue and allow it to sit. The trick is to keep them from evaporating before the glue has a chance to soften.
- To prevent this, moisten a piece of paper towel (it just needs to be large enough to cover the glue) so it is very wet with the acetone or alcohol.
- Lay it on top of the glue and cover with a piece of plastic wrap.
- Tape the plastic down around the edges so it is air-tight.
- Allow the solvent to sit on the glue for several hours or overnight.
- Remove the plastic wrap and solvent-soaked paper towel.
- Gently scrape away the glue with a utensil or putty knife. If it is soft enough, it may be possible to wipe or blot it up with a soft cloth. A razor can be used as well, but be sure to use great caution not to damage the surface of the tile.
- Repeat as necessary until all of the glue is removed.
- Clean the area as normal to remove any traces of solvent and allow to dry completely.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- There are commercial super glue removers available at your local hardware that are designed to remove dried super glue. The active ingredient in these removers is acetone.
- Avon’s Skin So Soft lotion has also been used to take off super glue. Simply apply to the surface, allow it to set for 5 to 10 minutes, and then scrub gently with a soft cloth.
- When removing the softened glue, it is important to work quickly. Once the acetone evaporates, the glue will begin to harden again.