Jenn asked: How can I clean the non-slip tread on my porcelain tub? The tub is less than 5 years old, in great shape, but the non-slip surface on the bottom of the tub will not come clean! I have tried everything I can think of. Bleach improves it but it won’t return it to white.
Though non-slip treading offers a wonderful safety feature in the bathtub, it can quickly collect dirt and grease. Cleaning these surfaces (without removing them) requires a tough clean that will cut through the dirt without damaging the tread. Following these steps to give a fresh, clean look to your bath.
You Will Need:
- Dawn liquid dish detergent (plain Dawn WITHOUT ammonia)
- Comet Powdered Cleaner
- Sponges or old soft cloths
- Rubber gloves
Steps to Clean the Non-Slip Tread:
- Start by ventilating the room by opening any available windows and protecting your hands with rubber gloves.
- It may even be helpful to clean the bathtub as normal first to remove day-to-day dirt and soap scum so you can get right to the source of the stains.
- Spray the entire floor of the tub with Tilex.
- Let the Tilex sit on the stains for several minutes up to a half an hour.
- Moisten the soft cloths or sponges with water and gently scrub the area.
- Rinse the entire base of the tub thoroughly and repeat as necessary.
- If the stains persist, try the following cleaning steps.
- Cover the stained area with plain, liquid Dawn dish detergent. Ensure that the type of Dawn you are using does not contain any ammonia (or the bleach from the Comet in the next step will react and cause toxic fumes).
- Next, apply a layer of Comet on top of the Dawn.
- Allow these two cleaners to set on the stain for at least 30 minutes. If the stains are severe, you may want to allow more time.
- After the area has soaked in the cleaners, scrub it with a sponge or soft cloth. Continue scrubbing as you rinse with clean water.
- Repeat as necessary until all of the stains are removed.
- When finished, clean the tub thoroughly to ensure that all cleaning products are removed prior to use.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- TRR, Toilet Ring Remover, is available at most drugstores and can be applied and wiped away with a sponge. Repeat applications until all stains are gone. Rinse the area thoroughly when finished.
- If your tub is cast-iron, another option is to use Bar Keepers Friend (available at Wal-Mart and other department stores). Just apply and clean the area with a sponge or soft cloth. Ensure all the cleaner is removed prior to use.
- Be sure to keep small children and pets out of the bathroom and away from any of these cleaning products as they can quickly become dangerous in small hands.