Jenn asked: How can I clean the non-slip tread on my porcelain tub? The tub is less than 5 years old, in great shape, but the non-slip surface on the bottom of the tub will not come clean! I have tried everything I can think of. Bleach improves it but it won’t return it to white.
Though non-slip treading offers a wonderful safety feature in the bathtub, it can quickly collect dirt and grease. Cleaning these surfaces (without removing them) requires a tough clean that will cut through the dirt without damaging the tread. Following these steps to give a fresh, clean look to your bath. Below you will find three options that can get the treads clean.
You Will Need:
- A Cleaning Solution (choose one):
- R.O.G.3 Tub and Tile Cleaner
- Bar Keepers Friend
- Sponges or old soft cloths
- Rubber gloves
Steps to Clean the Non-Slip Tread:
- Start by ventilating the room by opening any available windows and protecting your hands with rubber gloves.
- It may even be helpful to clean the bathtub as normal first to remove day-to-day dirt and soap scum so you can get right to the source of the stains.
- To use Tilex, spray the entire floor of the tub with Tilex.
- Let the Tilex sit on the stains for several minutes up to a half an hour.
- Moisten the soft cloths or sponges with water and gently scrub the area.
- Rinse the entire base of the tub thoroughly and repeat as necessary.
- If the stains persist, try the following cleaning steps.
- To use R.O.G. 3, apply the cleaner to the stained area.
- Allow the cleaner to soak for about 10 minutes.
- Scrub the area with a sponge or soft cloth.
- Repeat as necessary until all of the stains are removed.
- To use Bar Keepers Friend, sprinkle the cleaner over the stains.
- Gently scrub with a damp cloth or sponge. Try to only scrub the areas on the treading, not on the surrounding tub area. Although Bar Keepers friend is considered safe for porcelain, one of the leading tub manufacturers, Kohler, says that over time it can cause discoloration. (Instead, Kohler recommends one of the other two cleaners.)
- When finished, clean the tub thoroughly to ensure that all cleaning products are removed prior to use.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- TRR, Toilet Ring Remover, is available at most drug stores and can be applied and wiped away with a sponge. Repeat applications until all stains are gone. Rinse the area thoroughly when finished.
- Be sure to keep small children and pets out of the bathroom and away from any of these cleaning products as they can quickly become dangerous in small hands.
- Kohler – Cast Iron Baths and Whirlpools
- R.O.G. 3 – Cast Iron Tubs
- Bar Keepers Friend – The Fastest Way to Clean a Dirty Bathtub
- Retro Renovation – Kohler says “no” to: Magic Eraser, Comer, Bar Keepers Friend, Zud, Vinegar, etc…. for cleaning its porcelain enamel cast iron