Maria asked: How do I clean corroded batteries from a remote control? My surround system does not work due to corroded batteries. I have not used my surround system for quite awhile, so my remote control with batteries was just sitting inside the box in my storage. When I was about to use it, I found that there were corroded batteries inside the remote control. It suddenly stops working. Is there a way to clean it?
When batteries corrode, the exterior is damaged and the acid begins to seep out into the battery compartment. If not removed, it inhibits the batteries ability to make proper contact with the terminals so the power can be transferred into the device. The acid can also damage anything it comes into contact with (including you!) Removing this corrosion is easy and safe to do.
You Will Need:
- Soft cloths
- Baking soda
- Cotton balls or cotton swabs
Steps to Remove the Corrosion:
- Begin by removing the damaged batteries.
- It may be necessary to pry them out with a screwdriver or dull knife. Use caution not to damage the already weak exterior of the battery any further.
- Once the batteries are removed, dispose of them properly and wash your hands well.
- Wearing protective gloves, use a soft cloth or paper towel to gently wipe off as much of the dry acid in the battery compartment as possible. It is best to place this directly into a trash can or onto an old cloth that will not be damaged by the acid.
- Moisten a soft cloth with vinegar. A mixture of water and baking soda can also be used.
- Rub the cloth over the affected areas. Fizzing is normal. It is the reaction between the baking soda and the acid from the battery.
- If the areas are small or hard to reach, a cotton swab can be used to reach them more easily. Be careful not to allow any drips to enter your device.
- When the acid is removed, wipe the area with a clean cloth moistened with water.
- Dry the compartment with a soft cloth and allow it to air dry completely before use.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Acid can damage skin. Wear protective gloves to keep your hands and skin safe.