Lorie asked: How do I remove hairspray from vinyl flooring in the bathroom? My husband uses spray bottle hair spray. I have tried everything including goof off for paint, and the floor is still sticky when I stand on it with bare feet. Yucky. Help.
Hairspray can build up over time, leaving a thick layer of stickiness. The methods that work best for removal are the same that are used to remove large amounts of hairspray from your hair. They are simple, but may require several applications and plenty of elbow grease.
You Will Need:
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- Scrub brush
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Hairspray:
- Begin by cleaning the floor as usual.
- Mix one half cup of baking soda with 4 cups of water.
- Stir to dissolve.
- Moisten a soft cloth or sponge with the mixture and rub it over the sticky area.
- If the layer of hairspray is thick, pour a small amount of the mixture onto the surface and allow it to set for a couple of minutes. The baking soda will dissolve the hairspray.
- Wipe away with clean cloths.
- Repeat as necessary. For really bad build-up, it may take several applications.
- If needed, add lemon juice to the mixture or make a paste out of lemon juice and baking soda. The acid in the lemon juice will provide additional cleaning power to cut through the stickiness.
- Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are also useful for removing the build up from the surface. Use it as your scrubber and you have another ounce of cleaning power on your side.
- Continue scrubbing and washing until all of the hairspray is removed.
- Rinse the area with clean water.
- Allow it to dry completely.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Shampoo will also work to break down the hairspray. Spread the shampoo over the area and scrub with a brush or sponge. Rinse completely when finished to remove the soapy residue.
- Cleaning the area regularly will help prevent serious build up and shorten the cleaning time and effort required to remove it.
- If the mixture above is not working efficiently, add more baking soda. It can also be applied as a paste with baking soda and water for extra cleaning power.
- Other cleaners, such as Simple Green, will also cut through the hairspray and allow it to be removed.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods