Tasha asked: How do I remove hard water spots from my car windows? I have used Windex, water/alcohol mixture, lemon water, Magic Eraser, Goof Off and many more cleaners. I cannot get rid of what appears to be hard water spots on the outside windows. It is so aggravating, and I wondered if you had any ideas for me. Thank you!
Sprinklers, along with other water that your car is exposed to, can leave spots on the glass and other surfaces. While these spots are not permanent, they may not be easily removed with regular glass cleaners. Here are a few products that will remove the spots and clean your windows as well.
You Will Need:
Steps to Remove the Water Spots:
- Begin by cleaning the glass as normal. Remove any residue or dirt from the surface.
- Use the soft cloth to apply some of the chosen cleaning product to the surface.
- Rub in small, circular motions until the water spots are removed.
- Wipe the surface clean with a soft cloth.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Clean the windows regularly to keep the water spots at a minimum. Consistent removal will ensure the desired results.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Use regular household cleaning products with caution. Some of them contain chemicals that can damage the color or protective finishes on the car.
- These same products often work well for cleaning showers and other areas with hard water stains. Check the label to ensure it is safe to use on your chosen surface.
- Never use any abrasive scrubbers on the surfaces of your windows. They will create small scratches and leave a dulled appearance.
- Some water spots cannot be removed because they become etched into the glass and paint. It requires polishing and removing the etching from the surface. A detail shop can complete this, but it can be pricey.
- If the spots are new, some have found Scotchbrite pads scrub them right off. However, they can be abrasive, so use them with caution.
- Park your car away from sprinklers, especially on hot, sunny days. The mixture of the water droplets and the heat of the sun results in the stubborn spots.