Susan asked: How can I take white moisture spots off of my wood laminate flooring?
Water spots on laminate flooring can be caused by several things including too much cleaner, and/or mineral deposits in the water. In some cases, the water is drying on the surface and the minerals are leaving white areas that look like moisture spots. Follow these steps to solve the problem and remove the water spots.
You Will Need:
- Distilled water
- Soft cloths
- Soft towels (terrycloth works well)
- Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover
Steps to Remove the Water Spots:
- If the problem is caused by too much cleaner, there may be a film on the surface. To remove this film, add a cup of white vinegar to the bucket of warm water. Wash the floors as normal with the solution.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Dry with a soft, terrycloth towel.
- If the spots are caused from mineral deposits, clean the area with distilled water.
- Moisten a cloth until it is almost dripping.
- Wipe the floor clean.
- Dry immediately with a soft towel.
- Work in small sections so that the water does not dry on the floor and cause additional spotting.
- To remove water spots that are not removed with the steps above, apply a layer of Turtle Wax using a soft cloth. Remove and buff following the manufacturer’s instructions on the package.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If none of the above methods remove the spots, it may be that the finish is damaged. Consult a professional for replacement advice.
- If the floor is coated with a wax, the wax may be what is damaged and not the wood. Use a stripper to remove the wax and reapply a fresh coat.
The suggestion of 1 c. vinegar to 1 gal. warm water worked fabulously. The deposits are all gone! I’d tried many other store-bought cleaners to no avail. The good old fashioned vinegar & good ole’ elbow grease with a fairly stiff brush worked!!
What product can I use/do to clean/get rid of CreteStone spots (used for skimming ceilings) which fell on our laminated wood floor while skimming the ceiling?
How do I get a build up of furniture polish off my laminate floor? A cleaning service recently sprayed furniture cleaner on my kitchen cabinets and its seems most of it landed on the floor. The floor is so slippery, my dog keeps falling when she attempts to walk across the kitchen floor. It’s now covered in rugs to avoid this problem. I’ve washed it twice with the water/vinegar solution, but that doesn’t seem to help. Thanks for any and all advice.
Check it out! We’ve answered your question! Yay!
I did as Wendy suggested and it worked out perfectly. I am so pleased and so sorry I waited so long to goggle for the solution.
My lamanited floor is damaged with too much water, not wax or something. The aquarium was leaking and we didn’t know. If anyone knows, please help. It’s just one spot damaged. Thanks all.
You can try using the methods in the guide How to Remove White Rings from Wooden Furniture. If that doesn’t work, you may need to replace the laminate in that area. Family Handyman has a guide on how to do that for both snap-together and glued laminate planks. Good luck!
How to remove dark spots made by water splashes on a light laminate wood floor?
Try scrubbing the stains with some plain white toothpaste and a toothbrush. If that doesn’t work, use the guide How to Remove Black Marks Left by Urine on Hardwood Floors. The black marks are caused by liquid in general; the type of liquid (urine or water) doesn’t change the treatment method. Good luck!
Source: Cnet – The easy way to remove water stains from wood furniture