Frustrated Mom asked: We live in a rental, and today my 3 year old and 1 year old decided it would be a great idea to get into all of my 15 year old’s make-up. She started scrubbing it before I could look for helpful solutions. Now, it doesn’t seem to want to come out at all. It is a good mixture of eye make-up, lipstick, liquid foundation, powder, and mineral make-up. What do I do now? Will I have to replace the carpet when I move or will something take it out? Please help!
Different types of make-up require different stain removal methods, so a mixed up mess can be quite a challenge to clean. Your best bet is to use a product designed to remove all types of stains, including those with both oil and water based causes. Here’s one with a great track record of success.
You Will Need:
- Spot Shot Stain Remover
- Clean white cloths (or white paper towels)
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Spray Spot Shot on the stain.
- Wait the amount of time indicated on the label.
- Blot, don’t scrub, with clean, white towels.
- Repeat as necessary. Spot Shot is indicated for removal of lipstick, grease, and other tough stains, both old and new, but this type of stain may require more than one application.
- Once the stains are removed, rinse the area by blotting with a clean cloth moistened with clean water.
- Be sure to remove all of the cleaning residue as this can attract dirt more quickly in the future.
- Press a dry towel or cloth over the area to absorb any remaining moisture.
- Allow the area to dry completely.
- If the texture of the fabric is rough or stiff, vacuum over the area to soften the fibers and blend the area back in with the surrounding carpet.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Be cautious of alternative solutions involving vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Vinegar can fade colors, while peroxide acts as a bleach. They may work well on white or very light colored carpets, but will likely damage dark colored carpeting.
- Never scrub carpet fibers, they damage easily and cannot be repaired.
- If Spot Shot is not available, other all-purpose stain removers can be substituted. Check the labels as you need a stain remover that will remove both oil and water based stains.
- If the stains will not come out, it may be possible to replace only the small section of carpeting. For steps to complete this, see our guide How to Fix Bleached Carpet.
- For information on removing specific types of make-up stains, see our guide How to Clean Make-Up from Carpet.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods