Alex asked: How do you clean stickers off kitchen plates and bowls? I just purchased a set of bowls and plates, and they have annoying SKU stickers on them. If I try to peel them off, it leaves the glue and pieces of paper. How do I get stickers cleanly off my plates?
Removing pricing stickers can be a real pain to say the least. The sticky residue that is left behind can collect dirt and quickly become a dark, sticky area that takes away from the attractiveness of the new piece. Fortunately, the sticky residue can be removed with a little bit of oil (or oil-based product), scrubbing and time. Here’s what you need to know.
You Will Need:
- Goo Gone
- Plain, white toothpaste
- Acetone nail polish remover
- Rubbing alcohol
- Peanut butter
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
- Hair dryer
- Mild detergent
- Soft cloths or sponge
- Cotton balls
Steps to Remove the Sticker Residue:
- Begin by selecting one of the products above to remove the residue. All of these items have oils in them that will help to release the residue.
- Moisten a soft cloth or cotton ball with the liquids or spread the solids (ex: peanut butter) over the residue.
- Gently scrub the area with a cloth or sponge until the residue is lifted.
- Clean the area with a mild soap and water to remove any residue from the cleaner.
- Dry with a soft cloth.
- For sticker residue on surfaces that may be damaged by the above products, try heating the residue with a hair dryer and then wiping it away. It will be necessary to apply some pressure as you use a cloth moistened with soapy water to remove the sticky goo.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Some cleaning products may affect the surface of the area you are cleaning. Always test a small, hidden area first to ensure there is no damage to the color or texture of the surface.
- In some cases, the sticky goo can be erased away. Simply rub over the area with a pencil eraser, or larger eraser for larger spots, until the goo is removed. Brush off the eraser shavings and it’s all set.
- For thicker residue, a thinner such as rubber cement thinner may be helpful to loosen it before removal.
- If thinner is unavailable, try scraping away as much goo as possible first with a spoon, and then following the procedures above.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods