Question: How do you remove black stains from inside of the toilet tank? The water is clear and the bowl stays clean.
Over time, minerals in the water can leave a build-up inside of the toilet tank. Though often these are not harmful, they can be annoying when trying to clean. A simple acid-based cleaner will quickly remove any mineral deposits and leave the tank looking clean and fresh.
You Will Need:
- Coca Cola
- Bar Keepers Friend Powder
- Soft Scrub with Bleach
- Scrub Free
- Scrubbing sponge or toilet brush
Steps to Clean the Tank:
- Begin by turning off the water and flushing the toilet to drain the tank completely.
- Next, fill the tank with vinegar or Coca Cola. The acid in either of these will loosen the mineral deposits and make them easier to remove.
- After allowing it to set overnight, flush it away.
- Use the scrubbing sponge to scrub the sides of the tank to remove any remaining stains.
- Repeat as necessary.
- A second method involves applying a series of cleaners. If the stain is removed early in the process, there is no need to continue with the remaining cleaners.
- Start by turning off the water and flushing to empty the tank.
- Use the scrubbing sponge to apply a layer of Soft Scrub. Allow it to soak and then scrub.
- Rinse away with water and flushing.
- Next, apply a layer of Scrub Free. Again, allow it to soak and then scrub the stain.
- Rinse away with water and flush it away.
- Last, apply the Bar Keepers Friend Powder and scrub with the sponge.
- Allow it to set on the stain and then rinse and flush away.
- Repeat any of the above steps if necessary until the stain is completely removed.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If you have a private septic tank, avoid using too many bacteria-killing cleaners (such as bleach). These septic systems require bacteria to effectively destroy the waste. Instead, use cleaners such as Rid-X that keep the needed bacteria in the system.
- If rust is a problem, there are rust removers available at nearly every store that sells toilet bowl cleaners.
- If the toilet is vitreous china, you can scrub the stains away with a pumice stone. Do not use these stones on colored, enamel or plastic toilets.
- It is recommended that you clean the inside of the toilet tank twice a year.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods