Emma asked: How do I remove sesame oil stains from a top? The sesame oil splashed onto me after it fell out of the pantry. I wasn’t able to clean it straight away, so it has been put aside until I can find an answer. I live in Australia, so any products that I can get here would be helpful. Many thanks.
If you spill sesame oil on fabric, you can remove it without much effort when you follow this simple method. While simple, it is necessary to test a small area first to ensure that the fabric is not discolored. Once the spot test goes well, you are ready to tackle the stains.
You Will Need:
- Laundry detergent
- Washing machine
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Apply Pine-Sol, Pine O Cleen, or a similar natural oil solvent directly to the stain.
- Rub it in gently with your fingers or a soft brush.
- Wash the fabric in the washing machine as you normally would using your regular detergent.
- If the fabric can tolerate it, use warm to hot water during the wash cycle. This will also help in removing the oil residue.
- Allow the shirt air dry after washing. This will allow you to make sure the stain is completely removed. If the stain is still present, re-treat with the solvent and allow it to sit a while before re-washing.
- Once the stain is gone, it is safe to machine dry as usual.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Do NOT use scented Pine-Sol products on laundry. Always use the “original” scent on fabrics.