Connie asked: How can I remove Lime-A-Way damage to a laminate countertop? I was cleaning the stainless steel sink and faucets in my kitchen when I was distracted and left it for a couple of hours. The Lime-A-Way ran onto my new laminate countertops and left a pitted dull surface. I was horrified by my carelessness! Can this damage be reversed or lessened?
When harsh cleaning products meet surfaces such as laminate, typically the cleaning product wins the battle of breaking down whatever it comes in contact with. Fortunately, this must be a common problem, because there are special products available to fix problems just as these. Follow the guidelines below to repair your countertop and hide the damaged areas.
You Will Need:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Laminate repair paste (find the color that matches the color of the countertop)
- Putty knife
- Soft cloths
- Vinegar or bleach
- Car wax or lemon oil
Steps to Repair the Damage:
- Begin by assessing the area to determine the level of damage. If there are simply scratches on the surface, they can be polished over with wax. However, if the damage goes further, it will be necessary to fill it in first.
- If the damage consists of light scratches, clean the area with vinegar or bleach to remove any stains from products that may have gotten into the scratches.
- Once the area is clean, polish the surface with lemon oil or a car wax.
If the damage goes deeper, use the following steps:
- Clean the entire area well with rubbing alcohol.
- Dry with a soft cloth and allow to air dry completely.
- Fill in the damaged area with laminate repair paste.
- Use a putty knife to scrape over the top and make it level with the surface.
- Allow the paste to remain untouched for at least 24 hours to dry completely.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If the damage is light and/or the paste does not work, consider painting over the area to help it blend in.
- Polishing the area will help remove the dull finish that can draw attention to the repaired area.
- Laminate repair paste can be found at many hardware stores and places where countertops are sold.
- If the damage is large (and depending on the location), try covering it up with a decorative tile and use it as a hot pad or trivet.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods