D asked: How do I remove pink hair color from Formica countertop?
Laminate countertops are commonly found in kitchens and bathrooms. Their versatile look and affordability make them appealing for many homeowners. While many stains can be removed, hair dyes can leave permanent marks. Sometimes the stains can be drawn out and at least lessened with a few simple steps. Use the applications below to remove the dye and restore the beauty of your countertop.
You Will Need:
- Baking soda
- Nail polish remover
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
- Soft cloths or sponges
Steps to Remove the Hair Dye:
- Begin by mixing baking soda with a small amount of water to form a paste.
- Spread the paste over the stained area. Baking soda is abrasive, so do not scrub it on the surface.
- Leave the paste set until it has dried completely.
- Remove by wiping away with a damp cloth or sponge.
- If the stain remains, moisten a soft cloth or cotton balls with acetone nail polish remover.
- Gently rub it over the area. In some cases, this may remove some of the coloring in the countertop. Test a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure there are no adverse effects.
- Another useful cleaning tool, the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, works well for removing all kinds of stains and is safe to use on Formica countertops. Simply moisten the sponge with water and gently rub it over the stained area.
- If none of the above methods have worked, try using somd OxiClean. Mix either the liquid or powdered version with a little water and scrub the counter. Powdered OxiClean can also be used in the same way described above for baking soda.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If the stain cannot be removed, it can sometimes be painted over to cover it up. Choose a color that closely matches that of the countertop.
- Avoid using any harsh or abrasive cleaners on laminate countertops. They will damage the surface and leave a dull or discolored spot.
- If the countertops are white in color, bleach can be applied to the stain. Be aware that if the countertops are colored, the bleach will alter the coloring.