Justin asked: How do I wash acrylic material? I have a 100% acrylic material hat and I need to wash it. What do I do to wash it in the washing machine?
Acrylic materials typically do not require special detergents, just special handling. Unless otherwise noted on the care instructions, these materials can be safely washed in the washing machine using the methods below.
You Will Need:
- Lingerie laundering bag
- Mild soap such as Woolite
Steps to Wash Acrylic Materials:
- Place the item in a lingerie bag for extra protection during the wash cycle.
- Fill the washing machine with warm to cool water and place the item in along with other like-colored items.
- Wash on the gentle cycle for a quick and gentle wash. Front loading washers are even better because they do not have the center agitator that can cause damage to the material.
- Remove the piece from the washer after the spin cycle is completed.
- Reshape the piece to its original shape and allow it to air dry on top of a clean towel.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If the item you are cleaning is fragile or delicate, hand wash it instead. When it is washed and rinsed, roll it in a towel and gently press the water out of it. Avoid wringing out water as this can cause stretching and damage. Reshape the piece and leave it on a dry towel to air dry.