Gary asked: How do I clean virgin orlon acrylic? The sweater label says 100% virgin orlon acrylic, dry clean only. Can I use a lingerie bag in the washing machine?
Virgin orlon acrylic is a synthetic fiber that is, in itself, machine washable. However, it’s always best to follow label directions, so if your garment suggests dry cleaning only, why not compromise with a do-it-yourself dry clean treatment? Here’s what you need to do.
You Will Need:
- Dryel Starter Kit
- Clothes dryer
Steps to Clean the Garment:
- Place your garment in the fabric protection bag along with a moist cloth (both included in starter kit).
- Steam the garment by tumbling the bag in the dryer.
- As soon as the cycle has finished, remove the bag from the dryer. Take the garment out of the bag and hang it up, smoothing out any wrinkles immediately.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Read home dry clean instructions carefully. If your garment is damaged or has embellishments, you may need to take it to a dry cleaner for advice, repair, or cleaning.
- If you’d like to try machine washing your garment (at your own risk), see our guide How to Wash Dry Clean Only Clothing.