Jenny asked: How should I properly and safely clean a designer Dooney & Bourke purse? I need to clean my purse and I’m not sure what I can use to clean it. It’s an “It Bag” with the rainbow letters DB all over it.
Dooney & Bourke offer high quality purses with a unique, distinguished style. Over time, these bags can become soiled, much like any other fabric accessories. While prevention and protection are always key, there will come a time when the purse must be cleaned to keep its pristine look. Fortunately with some gentle effort and time, the purse can be made to look nearly new again.
You Will Need:
- Ivory bar soap
- Distilled water
- Soft brush or toothbrush
- Soft cloths
Steps to Clean the Purse:
- Begin by moistening the bar of soap with some distilled water. Allow it to set in the water until the top of it is soft and can be easily applied to the surface of the soft brush.
- Rub the soft brush/toothbrush on the bar of soap.
- Next, rub the toothbrush over the soiled areas on the purse. Be careful not to apply too much pressure or it may leave a mark.
- Rinse by wiping the soap away with a clean cloth moistened with distilled water. Distilled water does not contain minerals like tap water can. This will lessen the chance of having water marks on your purse once it dries.
- Dry with a clean soft cloth.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Do not allow soap or water to set on the purse for long. If it is on there for more than two minutes or so, it can leave marks and cause discoloration.
- If the lining on the purse is leather, try to keep it dry so the coloring does not bleed onto the fabric.
- To make future cleanings easier, protect your purse with a spray such as Scotchguard. This will prevent stains from being absorbed by the fabric and make them easier to remove.
- If your bag is of high value or you are leary of cleaning it on your own, it may be worth having Dooney & Bourke clean it for you. Purses can be sent to the manufacturer to be cleaned and returned.
- A local professional cleaner may also be able to clean the purse.
- Rain water can contain dirt and minerals that can leave water marks on purses. If the weather forecasts rain, it is best to leave your purse at home and select a different option.