Lauree asked: How do I clean a golf visor without losing its shape? I have a few golf visors that are different colors. For instance, a visor is white and the sweat band is black, or some are combination of white and another color that may bleed into the white. What is the best way to clean them. Dry clean?
Golf visors quickly become soiled with sweat and dirt. There are a variety of methods used for cleaning these hats so they do not lose their shape. Look through the methods and techniques below to find one that works best for you.
You Will Need:
- Hat cage/rack (optional)
- Mild detergent
- Old toothbrush
- Spray ‘n Wash or other stain pretreatment
- Small bowl
Steps to Clean the Visor:
- Begin by filling a small bowl with water and adding a small amount of mild detergent.
- Place the hat on a hat rack for easier cleaning and to ensure that it does not lose its shape.
- Dip the toothbrush or other small brush in the sudsy water and scrub the soiled areas of the visor. Do not soak the visor in the water.
- Treat stained areas with a stain treatment such as Spray ‘n Wash.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Allow the hat to dry on the rack.
You Will Need:
- Mild laundry detergent
- Spray ‘n Wash or other stain treatment
- Washing machine
Steps to Wash the Visor:
- Some visors can tolerate the agitation of the washing machine, making cleaning a breeze. Hat ‘cages’ are also available commercially to keep your hat’s shape while in the machine.
- Pretreat any stained areas with Spray ‘n Wash or other stain pretreatment.
- Place the hat in the washing machine and wash as normal on gentle cycle.
- Remove the hat prior to the spin cycle as the force from the spinning can affect the shape of the hat.
- Rinse the hat in the sink.
- Gently press out the excess water with a towel.
- Allow it to dry on a hat form.
- Do not dry a hat in the dryer.
Additional Tips and Advice
- No hat form? There are other ways to keep the shape of the visor. Place it on a bowl or wear it while it dries.
- These same cleaning methods are useful for washing hats as well.
- Hats can also be placed in the dishwasher for cleaning. Be aware that this method will likely cause the colors to fade.
- Some find it easiest to clean the hat by wearing it into the shower and washing it there.
- Sunscreen can cause the color to fade. This is not reversible as the color has been bleached out.
- Dry cleaning is a cheap and effective way to clean your hats.