Dana asked: How do I clean polyester gowns? The gown has four layers. One is crinolyn, one is polyester, and one is lace with fancy bidding.
When washing gowns, the various layers and delicate lace can make it a real challenge. While it may be possible to hand wash them, it is often best to have them professionally cleaned. Cleaners have the right equipment to clean the under layers while still protecting the top layers. If you choose to take on this task yourself, follow these steps.
What You Will Need:
- mild soap or detergent (Woolite)
- Tub or sink
- Drying rack (optional)
Steps to Clean the Gowns:
- Fill a sink or tub with cool water and add a small amount of mild soap such as Woolite.
- Place the gown into the water and allow it to soak in the water.
- Do not agitate the gown as this can damage the delicate lace layers. Instead, simply push the gown into the water and allow it naturally rise back to the top. This gentle motion will help to loosen any dirt while avoiding any damage.
- Remove the gown and drain the soapy water.
- Fill with clean water and rinse using the same pressing motion as before.
- Rinse twice if necessary to remove all soap residue.
- Remove the gown and press between two towels to remove the excess water. Do not wring or twist as this can cause the lace and other delicate layers to stretch and lose their shape
- Lay the gown flat and allow it to air dry completely.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If you have any worries or if the gown is of high value, do not hesitate to have it professionally cleaned. Often the peace of mind is well worth the cleaning costs.