Susan asked: How do I clean a ring that has an aquamarine stone? It is set in sterling silver. How do I keep the stone bright and sparkling?
Silver jewelry cleaner can be harsh on stones and settings. It’s also expensive. Fortunately, there’s a simple home solution that will polish your silver and gemstones to a remarkable shine, and it’s gentle enough for everyday cleaning. For brilliant jewelry, just follow these steps.
You Will Need:
- Old toothbrush
- Baking soda toothpaste (see tips below)
- Soft cloth
Steps to Clean the Ring:
- If you have an open drain, cover it with a strainer or plug the sink completely. Many rings have been lost in the plumbing while cleaning them.
- Wet the ring with clean water.
- Apply baking soda toothpaste to the brush.
- Carefully brush the ring, in particular around the crevices near the setting.
- Rinse both the toothbrush and the ring with clean water.
- Without reapplying toothpaste, brush the ring again.
- Rinse well.
- Dry with a soft cloth.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Choose a paste toothpaste (not gel). Avoid whiteners (other than baking soda), tartar control, or other chemicals, as they could damage the silver.
- Use an old toothbrush or one with soft bristles to avoid scratching the ring. For soft silver, clean with the soft cloth instead of the toothbrush.