Linda asked: How do I clean an old fan pull chain? I have several ceiling fans with very long pull chains. Those chains, over the years, have tarnished. They look so dirty. Is there an easy way to clean them? Maybe soak them in something?
You can clean and remove tarnish from your ceiling fan chains quickly and easily with this solution. You don’t even have to take the chains down!
You Will Need:
- Step ladder or sturdy chair (to reach the chains)
- Tarn X
- Clean rags
Steps to Clean the Chains:
- Set up the chair or ladder so you can reach the chain.
- Soak the clean rag with Tarn X.
- Run the wet rag up and down the chain until it’s clean. Turn the cloth periodically for exceptionally dirty chains to avoid spreading the dirt.
- Finish with a quick “rinse” by wiping the chains with a second rag moistened with water.
- Allow the chains to dry or dry with a clean, dry cloth.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If the chains do not come clean, many can be inexpensively replaced. Replacement chain pulls are sold in most hardware and home improvement stores.