Sandy asked: How do I clean Barbie hair? My three year old has a way of destroying her Barbie’s hair. I tried to clean one with soap and water, and it became worse. Our hair conditioner…failed. Any tips or tricks for Barbie hair? Thanks!
Barbie hair can quickly become dried and tangled if not cared for properly. Whether it’s a collector’s item or a child’s toy, the hair should be cleaned carefully to keep it moisturized and beautiful. Here are the steps to clean the hair without turning it into a frizzy mess.
You Will Need:
- Gentle shampoo (baby shampoo works well)
- Towels or washcloths
- Leave-in conditioner spray
Steps to Clean Barbie Hair:
- It is helpful to begin with a good combing to remove any snags or tangles in the hair.
- Work from the bottom to the roots to comb out tangles and remove any loose debris from the hair. If there are any troublesome tangles, one site user (thanks!) recommends waiting to comb them out until after the hair has been washed and conditioned.
- In order to keep Barbie’s hair looking smooth and soft, it needs lots of conditioning. Start by applying a conditioner to the hair. Allow it to set on the hair for several minutes.
- Rinse the conditioner out under running water.
- Pat dry by wrapping the hair in a towel or washcloth and squeezing gently.
- Next, apply a small amount of gentle shampoo to the hair.
- Work the shampoo into the hair to remove any dirt.
- Rinse with running water.
- Another round of conditioner will help to restore any moisture that was taken out by the shampoo. Work a good amount of conditioner into the doll’s hair and allow it to set for several minutes.
- Rinse under running water and pat dry as before.
- Spray a leave-in conditioner on Barbie’s hair to keep it from drying out.
- Comb the hair to remove any tangles and allow it to air dry. If you would like to style the hair, it is best to do while wet so it will dry in the desired style. Braids can be added to produce waves or doll rollers can be used to make curls.
Additional Tips and Advice
- The hair on Barbie dolls will come loose if too much pressure is applied. Comb through it gently to avoid pulling any strands loose from her head.
- Storing the doll in a case or holder when not in use will help to minimize the amount of dirt and dust that gets in her hair.
- To keep hair under control, consider keeping it in braids or pulled back in a ponytail.
- Do not use laundry products such as detergents or fabric softeners on the hair. It is best to use baby shampoo and regular conditioning products.