Unlike regular stove tops, glass stove tops take a few special steps to keep them shiny and streak-free. Follow the steps below to clean your glass top.
You Will Need:
- Soft cloths
- Dish detergent
- Glass cleaner
- Glass stovetop cleaner (ex: Cerama Bryte, Cooktop Magic)
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
- Non-abrasive scouring pad
Steps to Clean a Glass Stove Top:
- Start by moistening a soft cloth with water.
- Wipe the surface of the stove to remove any loose food or debris.
- Add a small amount of detergent to remove food that is dried (not cooked) on the surface.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Clean any remaining areas with a glass stovetop cleaner or the Magic Eraser. Both are effective in removing the cooked on stains that are more difficult to remove.
- Rinse the cloth and surface regularly to see how much progress you’re making. A non-abrasive scouring pad, like the plastic scrubbers, can also be used to scrub the surface.
- Once the surface is clean, or shows no more improvement, rinse well with clean water and a clean cloth.
- To remove any streaks, a glass cleaner or wipe can be used to make the surface shine.
Additional Tips and Advice
- The key to keeping your stove top in excellent condition is cleaning up the spills right away. NEVER use the stove top with spills present. The heat will cook them on and adhere them to the surface. Once cooked on, the stains will likely require a harsh chemical or razor scraper to remove them completely.
- Clean the surface after each use to remove any grease splatters or spills.
- There are a variety of glass stove top cleaners on the market. Other products, such as Bar Keeper’s Friend also work well to clean glass cooking surfaces.
- Never us any abrasive cleaners on a glass stove top. They will cause scratches that will dull the surface of the stove.
- For cooked on plastic, food, grease stains and more, see our other glass stove top cleaning guides.