David asked: How do I clean a Jolly Rancher off of leather?
When hard candy becomes moistened, the sticky outer layer can cling to nearly any fabric type. The first goal is to remove the candy, followed by removing any staining left behind. Fortunately, since the candy will dissolve, the removal process is fairly simple.
You Will Need:
- Mild soap such as Dove
- Soft cloths
- Leather conditioner
Steps to Clean the Candy Away:
- Begin by scraping off as much of the candy as possible.
- There will likely be a layer of stickiness left behind. To remove this layer, place a drop of mild soap onto the sticky area.
- Rub the area with a clean, soft cloth to form a lather.
- Wipe the lather away with a clean cloth. It may help to dampen the cloth slightly with water. Do not place water directly onto the leather.
- Use a dry towel to blot the area dry and allow it to dry completely.
- When the leather is dry, treat the area with a leather conditioner to keep it from drying out.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If the leather is smooth, a baby wipe may work well as a quick cleaning tool.
- There are cleaning kits designed specifically for leather. If your piece is valuable, this may prove to be a better option, and cheaper than having it professionally cleaned.
- If the leather is unfinished, use saddle soap to clean instead of a mild soap.