White tennis shoes look great when they’re new, but they quickly show signs of dirt and wear. Keep your shoes looking great with these easy cleaning steps.
You Will Need:
- Soft scrub brush
- Soap (or leather cleaner for leather shoes)
- White towels
- Protective spray
- Scotchguard for canvas shoes
- Leather protectant for leather shoes
Steps to Clean the Shoes:
- Start by using a clean, soft cloth to brush off any dry dirt from the surface.
- Remove the laces and wash them separately in warm water with a mild soap or detergent.
- Look over your shoes to decide if they need some spot cleaning or a complete, all-over cleaning.
- Moisten the dirty areas with water.
- Apply a soap or cleaning product that is safe for your type of shoe material.
- Use a soft scrub brush to gently work the soap into the surface and remove any dirt or debris.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Repeat as necessary until the shoes are clean.
- Dry with a soft towel and allow the shoes to air dry completely.
- Once the shoes are dry, apply a protective spray or leather conditioner (for leather shoes) to protect the surface from future stains and dirt build-up. Water proofing spray is also recommended to keep your shoes looking great.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Some shoes can tolerate machine washing for quick cleaning. Use caution as cheaper shoes are glued together, and this washing method can cause the glue to seep and leave yellow markings around the edges.
- There are also commercial shoe cleaning products available. When using these products, protect your work area with several layers of towels or newspaper (but be careful not to get newspaper print transferred onto the white surface of the shoes).
- For leather shoes, it’s wise to apply a polish as well. This will freshen the look of the surface while protecting the leather.
- Some have had luck cleaning white tennis shoes in the dishwasher! Try it at your own risk!