Russ asked: How do I clean clothing dye stains from a radiator? Clothing was left to dry on a white radiator and now there is a pale blue stain across the top of the radiator.
Dyes can bond with paint and be difficult to remove without removing the paint as well. Ideally, in this situation, we will need something that will remove the dye without eating through the paint. Here are a couple of options to try.
You Will Need:
- Rit dye remover
- Rubbing alcohol
- Cotton balls
- Cotton swabs
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Dye:
Never mix bleach and ammonia because toxic fumes are produced. Be sure to rinse and dry the area well between applications if both products are tried.
- Begin by moistening a cotton ball with bleach and gently wiping over the area. The bleach will remove the color from the surface and if the paint is white, there is no risk to removing that color as well. If the paint is colored, start with ammonia as bleach will affect the coloring in the paint.
- Rinse with clean water on a soft cloth and allow the area to dry completely.
- If the bleach does not work, or the area is not white, moisten a cotton ball or cotton swab with ammonia and apply it to the stain.
- Rinse with clean water and dry with a soft cloth.
- Rubbing alcohol has also been found useful in removing dyes. Simply apply and rinse using the same methods as above.
- If none of the above cleaners remove the dye, utilize a dye remover.
- Mix the powder with a small amount of water to form a paste.
- Spread the paste over the stained area and allow it to sit for the recommended time as listed on the packaging.
- Wipe away with a moist cloth and rinse with clean water.
- Allow the area to dry completely.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Never mix bleach and ammonia because toxic fumes are produced. Be sure to rinse and dry the area well between applications if both products are tried.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser removes many stains safely from a variety of surfaces and may work here as well. This is especially helpful if the paint is not white because it will not bleach the area.