Linda asked: My grandson wrote on our light colored, polyester fabric upholstery with a Pilot Dr. Grip Gel pen. What can I do to remove it?
Gel pens are made with different ink than ball point pens. Gel ink is designed to be permanent. Below is a method that has been successful for some. Always test the cleaning solution on a hidden area first to ensure it does not remove the dye in the upholstery.
You Will Need:
- Rubbing alcohol
- White vinegar
- Soft cloths
- Small bowl
- Cotton swabs
- Laundry detergent
Steps to Remove the Ink:
- Treat these ink stains as soon as possible for the best chance of removal.
- Mix together one part rubbing alcohol and one part vinegar in a bowl.
- Moisten a soft cloth and dab the mixture onto the ink stain. A cotton swab can be used to apply it more directly to the stained area.
- Moisten the ink well and leave it to set for 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the area with salt.
- Leave the salt sit on top of the stain for a couple of minutes and then scrape it away.
- Moisten a clean cloth with warm to hot water and blot the stain.
- Continue blotting until the stain is removed.
- If needed, a few drops of laundry detergent can be added to the water.
- Once the ink is removed, wipe the area with a clean cloth and plain water to remove any soap or cleaning residue.
- Allow the area to air dry completely.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Gel ink stains are stubborn and may require several attempts to completely remove them.
- Simple green can also be sprayed onto the stain to aid in removal. Blot with a clean cloth moistened with plain water to remove.
- If the upholstery cannot get wet, such as some silks and microfiber upholsteries, consult a professional cleaning company to remove the stain for you.
You have mentioned to treat this method ASAP, but I want to know within how many days do I have to treat, using this method to remove an ink stain from upholstery fabric? I have an upholstery fabric that stained over a month ago.
This worked great; thank you!
This worked amazingly well on WHITE upholstery to remove blue ink from a Pilot G2 pen. I was amazed, and grateful. Thank You!
It really works!!! I was amazed and grateful. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!