There are numerous ways to cure this common mishap. Listed below is an easy removal method to try along with several other options.
You Will Need
- Ajax or other dishwashing liquid
- Baking Soda
- Old Toothbrush
*Always test a small, inconspicuous area of the fabric with the intended cleaning solution first to make sure no staining, color fading or other damage will occur.
How to Remove the Stain
- Begin by blotting with a clean cloth to remove as much of the grease as possible. It’s very important to BLOT throughout this entire process DO NOT SCRUB. Working from the outside of the stain towards the center will keep the stain from spreading.
- Mix the dishwashing liquid with the baking soda to make a paste. The paste should be the consistency of toothpaste.
- Spread the paste onto the stain.
- Lightly scrub the stain on BOTH sides of the garment with the toothbrush to work the paste into the stain.
- Let the stain set with the paste for about 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse the stain with water.
- If the stain is stubborn and still remains, add some spot remover such as Shout to the solution and reapply.
- Scrub again with the toothbrush on both sides of the garment.
- Let the paste set on the stain an addition 5-10 minutes.
- When the stain is removed, wash the clothing in cold water following detergent recommendations on the care tag.
- You may want to air-dry the clothing to be sure the stain is not noticeable when it’s dry. If you place it in the dryer and it’s not completely gone, it will be set from the heat and impossible to remove.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Apply shampoo to the stain, work it in with your fingers, and wash as usual.
- Spread Cheez Wiz on the stain and toss it in the wash to wash as usual. No need to let the Cheez Wiz set on the stain.
- Spray Dawn Power Dissolver or apply Dawn dishwashing liquid on the stain and let it set for a few minutes. Wash as usual.
- If your clothing is durable, spray oven cleaner on the stain and let it set for about an hour. Wash as usual.
- If the stain is on a garment that is dry-clean only, do not pre-treat or attempt to remove the stain. Take the item to a professional cleaner as soon as possible to have the stain treated.
- Spray WD-40 on the stain and let it set for 20 minutes. Rub in Dawn dishwashing liquid and wash as usual.
- Sprinkle Talcum powder all over the stain and let it set overnight or in the sun. Wash as usual.
- Pour Coca Cola on the stain or add a can of Coca Cola to the washer.