Katherine asked: How do I remove green, furry mold from a divan bed drawer base? I have Divan bed with four drawers for storage. I smelled a odor and I found the bottom underside of my bed drawers had green, moldy stuff growing in circular shapes on them. I tried scrubbing it off with watered down bleach and let them dry, but it has come back! I think it’s been cause by moving into the room too soon after a latex floor leveler was put down, even though it looked dry on the surface. This mold makes me cough and my nose to sting. I have had a constant wheeze in my throat. Please help me get rid of it for good.
The problem with mold exists on two levels. You can get rid of the mold, but if you don’t find and resolve the source of the mold, it will continue to grow. Because there are serious health risks associated with mold, it’s important that you follow these steps as soon as possible.
You Will Need:
- Sponge or cloth
- Eye protection
Steps to Remove the Mold:
- Remove the affected drawers and take them to well ventilated area, preferably outdoors.
- Wearing eye protection and gloves, mix a solution of 25% bleach to water.
- Clean the mold from the drawer using the washcloth or sponge dipped in the bleach solution. The bleach may fade the wood. If this is a problem, you might be able to find a commercial product for your specific situation but it’s not likely a concern for the bottom of a drawer.
- Allow the drawers to dry completely.
- Meanwhile, you need to find the source of the mold to prevent it from returning. If the carpet is not wet or there is no carpet, the most likely culprit is humidity. Leave the drawer out for a few days and use a dehumidifier to counteract the conditions.
- Finally, check for adequate ventilation and sunlight. If possible, expose the room to more light and use a fan to aid in overall circulation.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If the problem persists, call in a professional to find the source of the problem.
- There are products that are designed to absorb moisture in storage spaces. This is helpful if the problem is regular humidity. For more options, see our guide How to Remove Musty Smells from a Safe.
- Avoid dry-cleaning methods as they can allow the mold spores to become airborne and cause additional problems. Killing the spores with the mixture above and wiping them away with a moist cloth prevents them from spreading through the air, into breathing passages, etc.
- If you are unable to find the cause of the mold, consider consulting a professional to locate the source and a permanent solution.