Mike asked: How do I remove years of salt from an aluminum boat? The boat is probably 20 years old and has a large amount of salt or calcium deposits on the outside. What would be a good product to use to make it shiny again?
There’s nothing like a healthy dose of saltwater to take the shine off of your aluminum boat. You may find out the hard way that good old fashioned elbow grease isn’t much of a fix if you’re not using the right cleaner, but you can relax. Here’s a simple solution for taking care of those pesky salt and mineral deposits, plus any algae, scum, water lines or oxidation marring your hull.
You Will Need:
- Streakmaster Aluminum Cleaner
- Long handled brush
- Acid resistant gloves
- Water hose with sprayer
- Eye protection
- Rubber boots
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Salt and Mineral Deposits:
- Before you begin, make sure you follow all safety precautions listed on the label. Wear eye protection, gloves, boots and an apron to protect against exposure to acid or acid spray. Although Streakmaster is not as hazardous as Hydrofluoric Acid Brightener and does not come with the same chemical concerns, it’s still a good idea to protect yourself.
- Follow label directions to dilute Streakmaster to the right concentration for your job, mixing the product with water in the bucket.
- Use the brush to apply the solution to the hull of the boat, moving in a side to side motion (do not work in a circular pattern). To prevent streaking, start at the bottom and work your way up.
- Allow product to sit for one minute, then rinse well. Do not allow the product to dry on your boat! Work in small sections to prevent this.
- For extra shine, wipe dry with a soft cloth immediately after rinsing. Again, work in a side to side motion as you polish.
Additional Tips and Advice
- For best results, use a higher product concentration in cold weather (dilute less). In hot weather, dilute more.
- Avoid getting product overspray on other surfaces, including paint and glass. This applies to both the cleaning solution and the rinse spray which may kick the cleaner onto nearby surfaces.
- Read and follow all label directions for use, disposal, and storage of Streakmaster.
Leave a reply