Jamie asked: How do I remove silly putty from carpet? The stain is old. I was able to remove the solid silly putty from the carpet. However, the pink stain remains despite numerous treatments with Resolve and lots of elbow grease! The carpet is off-white Berber.
Silly putty is a great toy for children of all ages, but when it meets the carpet, it quickly loses its thrill. Fortunately, it can be removed with a little time and effort and no damage to the carpet.
You Will Need:
- Spoon or dull knife
- Cotton balls
- Rubbing alcohol
- Spray bottle
- Soft cloths or towels
Steps to Remove the Silly Putty:
- Start by scraping as much putty away as possible using the spoon or dull knife.
- Once the majority of the putty is removed, its time to work on the small amount left behind.
- Moisten a cotton ball with a good amount of rubbing alcohol.
- Blot the silly putty with the rubbing alcohol.
- It may be helpful to allow the rubbing alcohol to set for a minute on the residue, but is not always necessary.
- Use a clean cloth to gently scrub the area.
- Be cautious not to push the putty further into the carpet. It may help to either rub in a circular motion or blot at the area with a clean cloth.
- Continue blotting at the residue until all of the putty is removed.
- Rinse the area with a clean cloth moistened with plain water.
- Blot with a clean cloth to dry.
- When the putty is removed and the area has been rinsed, lay a clean cloth over the area and apply pressure for a few minutes to absorb any remaining moisture.
- Allow the area to air-dry completely.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- No rubbing alcohol available? Try using hand sanitizer instead.
- If the putty is really stubborn, add some WD-40 to the area to help lubricate it for easier removal.
- If the putty is not removed using the methods above, try rubbing over it with Fels Naptha Soap.
- Mayo or white vinegar are two other products that have been used to successfully remove silly putty.
- If the putty is pushed deep into the pile and you can’t get it out, you can cut out a square of the carpet and replace it with a matching piece.
- If there is a dye stain that remains after all of the putty has been removed, try a foming carpet cleaner.